The UK Law strongly recommends that each student purchase a personal laptop computer before beginning law school. Our advice is based on the central University recommendations that can be found here: http://www.uky.edu/ukit/hardwareguide.
One difference is we do NOT recommend a tablet as a laptop replacement at this time. ExamSoft, the software you will use at the end of each semester to take your exams is not currently supported on tablets.
Minimum Laptop Recommendations
- Processor: Dual Core 1.3 Ghz or higher
- RAM: 4 GB minimum (more preferred)
- Hard Drive: 250 GB or larger preferred (minimum 100 GB)
- Wireless card: 802.11n preferred (minimum 802.11 b/g compatible)
- Operating System:
- Windows 7 or 8
- Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks preferred (10.6 Snow Leopard minimum as required for ExamSoft)
- Up-to-date virus software, preferably installed before coming to campus
We also strongly urge you to purchase a minimum three-year warranty including accidental damage if offered. The accidental coverage will protect you from incidents such as spilling your Venti Starbucks into your keyboard during a late night study session.
We Recommend Dell
The College of Law’s IT department is a certified Dell warranty repair center. This provides a convenient resource for students with Dell computers to receive prompt warranty repair and parts replacement (when covered) at no cost, right here in the Law Building. We specifically recommend the Latitude laptops that we purchase for our Faculty and Staff, which are made available to you at a deep discount. Where to obtain this discount will be covered in the next section.
We are also able to provide support to non-Dell and out of warranty Dell laptops but we are unable to obtain parts or equipment on your behalf. We provide limited assistance with Apple computers, but for all hardware and some software issues we will have to defer you to the Apple Store Genius Bar located in town at Fayette Mall.
Dell offers deep discounts on certain configurations to the University, and these same discounts are extended to students. There are two sites to obtain discounts through Dell. The first offers students the same discounts the University has on the configurations we buy for faculty and staff. These can be seen here: http://www.dell.com/dellu/kentucky. We recommend purchasing one of the configurations from this link.
The second site makes other Dell products available at a discount, however the percentage off is not as great and many of the products are inferior to those in the first link. The site can be accessed here: http://www.dell.com/ukty.
Apple also offers educational discounts to UK students. Their offerings, though not as deeply discounted as Dell’s, can be seen here: http://store.apple.com/us_edu_20513.
Certain software is available for free to all UK students some notable packages include:
Access to the various sources:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or 2013 for PC [source: OnTheHub]
- Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac [source: OnTheHub]
- Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 [source: OnTheHub]
- Microsoft Endpoint Protection – Antivirus protection for both PC and Mac [source: UK Download Server]
- Adobe Acrobat Pro [source: UK Application Download Center]
- UK Download Server
- UK Application Download Center
- OnTheHub Web Store
- First navigate to https://download.uky.edu/
- Login with your LinkBlue credentials
- Once logged in, click “Purchase Software From OnTheHub” at the top right and purchase your software for free.
One cautionary note about OnTheHub: They host these options for us because they can make money if a student ever needs access to his or her software again after one month. We highly recommend keeping a record of the personal CD Key OnTheHub provides you in case you ever need to reinstall your software.
We’re Here to Help
We are always willing and happy to answer any IT questions you may have. Please feel free to contact the Law IT Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859.257.2367.
You may receive an amendment to increase your financial aid budget by the cost of your new laptop (up to a maximum of $1800), by emailing the laptop specifics and a copy of the receipt of purchase to UK Law Admissions at email@example.com. UK Law Admissions will generate a letter that must be submitted to Financial Aid with the receipt of purchase. This is a one-time allowable expense during your time in law school.