THE REGISTRATION PROCESS
First-year students are registered automatically by the Registrar.
Second- and third-year students register using a two-pass random-draw priority system. It is a little complicated, but is designed to be as fair as possible to everyone. The steps are described below.
Registration on application. Seven courses do not use the priority system:
UKHC Risk Management Externship,
UK Office of Legal Counsel Externship,
Department of Public Advocacy Externship,
Fayette County Attorney Externship,
Kentucky Refugee Ministries Externship,
Lexington City Attorney Externship,
and the Immigration Law Externship.
Students interested in enrolling in these courses must fill out an application form and submit it to the Registrar with their first pass. Registration will be completed in these courses after the instructors have made their selections.
- Third-year students are registered for their classes before second-year students, and within each class, the priority is determined by random drawing.
- Each year in March, one student’s name is selected at random from the rising second- and third-year classes. That student has the first priority for registration for that class for the summer and fall terms, with the rest proceeding alphabetically to the end of the alphabet and then from the beginning. So if “John Smith” were the name drawn, Mr. Smith would go first, proceeding through the students to Zachary Zeta, then to Alberta Alpha, and so on to the last student before Mr. Smith. For registration for the spring term, which takes place in October, the priority order is reversed.
- Once this priority is established each third-year student prepares a “first pass” list of six classes in order of preference. The Registrar will place the student in the two highest preference classes which are not filled, going in the priority order established above.
- Once the first pass is completed, the enrollment results are posted. Then each third-year student prepares a “second pass” of the remaining courses desired, again in order of preference. The student is given an appointment time with the Registrar, and real-time enrollment information is available at that student’s appointment time. The second-pass registration order is the reverse of the first-pass order.
- When third-year registration is completed, the enrollment results are posted. This process is then repeated with the second-year students.
Summer 2014 Schedule
Fall 2014 Block Schedule
Fall 2014 Course List
Fall 2014 Final Exam Schedule
Fall 2014 Curriculum Update
Spring 2015 Block Schedule
Spring 2015 Course List
Spring 2015 Final Exam Schedule
First Pass Form
Second Pass Form
Fall 2014 Academic Calendar
College of Law Catalog
College of Law Course Planning Guide